Montague, Michigan is a small city located in Muskegon County. It has an estimated population of 2,500 people, making it one of the smaller cities in the county. Montague is situated on the shores of White Lake and is surrounded by a beautiful landscape of rolling hills and forests. The climate in Montague is typical for Michigan; hot summers and cold winters with plenty of snowfall. Check whicheverhealth for information about Albion, Michigan.
The history of Montague dates back to 1838 when it was first settled by settlers from New York. The city was incorporated in 1867, and over the years it has grown to become a popular tourist destination due to its scenic views and waterfront activities. In recent years, Montague has become more diverse with an influx of immigrants from Mexico, Central America, and Africa.
Politically, Montague is part of the Republican-leaning Muskegon County but does have some liberal leanings as well. The economy in Montague centers around tourism as well as light manufacturing and agriculture. The city also has a strong education system with several public schools including Whitehall Elementary School, North Muskegon Middle School, and Montague High School as well as several private schools.
Montague is also home to many landmarks such as the White Lake Lighthouse which stands at the entrance to White Lake Harbor; the Grand Trunk Western Railroad Depot which serves as a museum; and many other historic sites such as old churches, homes, stores, banks etc. Overall Montague offers visitors a unique combination of natural beauty and historical significance making it an ideal place for tourists to explore!
Population: 2,407. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,339 (-2.8% change)
Males: 1,139 (47.3%), Females: 1,268 (52.7%)
Zip code: 49437
Median resident age: 37.2 years
Median household income: $40,677
Median house value: $89,100
Races in Montague:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- Hispanic (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (31.2%), English (15.8%), Irish (12.6%), Polish (8.3%), Swedish (7.6%), Dutch (7.3%).
Elevation: 192 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
Montague, Michigan is a small town located in the Northwestern corner of the state. The population of Montague is approximately 1,700 people. The town offers a quiet and peaceful atmosphere for its residents. The median home value in Montague is around $140,000, which is slightly lower than the national average. Rent prices are also relatively affordable at an average of $700 per month for a one-bedroom apartment.
The economy in Montague is largely supported by small businesses and farming operations. There are several local shops and restaurants that serve the community and provide employment opportunities for residents. Additionally, there are many farms located near Montague that produce crops such as corn, soybeans, and wheat. These farms provide jobs to many people in the area and help to keep the local economy afloat.
The public school system in Montague consists of two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. All four schools are part of Whitehall School District which provides quality education to students living in Montague and surrounding areas. The district has received numerous awards for its excellence in education over the years which speaks to their commitment to providing quality education to their students.
In addition to offering excellent educational opportunities, Montague also boasts a variety of recreational activities for its residents including fishing, hunting, camping, boating, hiking and more! There are several parks located throughout town where visitors can enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities such as picnicking or playing sports games with friends or family members. Additionally there are several golf courses located nearby that offer challenging courses for both experienced golfers as well as beginners looking to learn how to play the game!
For population 25 years and over in Montague
- High school or higher: 88.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montague city
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 55.8%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 11.2%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +129 (+5.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montague:
- HACKLEY HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; MUSKEGON, MI)
- MERCY GENERAL HEALTH PARTNERS (about 12 miles; MUSKEGON, MI)
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL-WESTERN MICH (about 12 miles; MUSKEGON, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montague:
- MUSKEGON COUNTY (about 20 miles; MUSKEGON, MI; Abbreviation: MKG)
- GERALD R. FORD INTERNATIONAL (about 70 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: GRR)
- KALAMAZOO/BATTLE CREEK INTERNATIONAL (about 99 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Abbreviation: AZO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montague:
- DOUBLE JJ RESORT RANCH (about 7 miles; ROTHBURY, MI; Abbreviation: 42N)
- OCEANA COUNTY (about 16 miles; HART/SHELBY, MI; Abbreviation: C04)
- FREMONT MUNI (about 27 miles; FREMONT, MI; Abbreviation: 3FM)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montague:
- MUSKEGON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; MUSKEGON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,365)
- GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; ALLENDALE, MI; Full-time enrollment: 15,124)
- HOPE COLLEGE (about 49 miles; HOLLAND, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,918)
- GRAND RAPIDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,590)
- AQUINAS COLLEGE (about 61 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,022)
- FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; BIG RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,593)
- CALVIN COLLEGE (about 66 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 4,148)
Public high school in Montague:
- MONTAGUE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 453; Location: 4900 STANTON BOULEVARD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Montague:
- OEHRLI ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 658; Location: 4859 KNUDSEN STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- NELLIE B. CHISHOLM MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 389; Location: 4700 STANTON BOULEVARD; Grades: 06 – 09)
Private primary/middle school in Montague:
- ST JAMES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 82; Location: 5149 DOWLING STREET; Grades: KG – 6)